Monday, May 23, 2011

Homemade Granola

I like granola cereal in the morning, but I could never find a cereal that has the ingredients that I like, without having some kind of a preservative in the cereal that was unhealthy. I finally found a recipe from Ellie Kriger on the Food Network that I would like to share with you. The only thing different I did was to put 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to her 1/4 teaspoon. I like a cinnamon taste to my cereals and cinnamon is loaded with healthy benefits like lowering the bad LDL cholesterol, it has an anti-clotting effect on the blood, it can help relief arthritis pain, and when you smell cinnamon it can boost your memory. It is definitely a beneficial spice to add to your recipes.

Ingredients:

3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup roughly chopped unsalted walnuts
1/2 cup roughly chopped unsalted pecans
1/2 cup raw, whole almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup maple syrup

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl combine the oats, salt, cinnamon, nuts, raisins, and syrup. Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet and bake until golden brown about 30 minutes. Transfer the sheet to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Makes 9 (1/2 cup) servings.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment